Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Stories This Old Tree Could Tell

  
I was at the Josephine County Historical Society's research library, and mentioned to Joan Momsen how much I liked my little almond tree.

 She told me about the almond tree that's on the corner of "A" and 9th StreetsI just had to go take a look at it, after all, it is said to be about 109 years old!   Just imagine how many people have walked and driven by this tree over all those years.

This tree was here before the first locally owned automobile was purchased in 1904.  It was here when the Commercial Club organized in 1907.  It was here when the post office first began mail delivery in Grants Pass in 1909.  It was here when our first street was paved in 1910.  It was here before Ament Dam, and its' replacement, Savage Rapids Dam were built, and has outlived both of them.

I'd like to listen to the stories this tree could tell; oh, if only it could talk!

Thanks for the inspiration Joan!

 

2 comments:

  1. When I started teaching at Grants Pass High
    School in 1980 this almond tree was called the "Spring Vacation Tree" because is started to bloom the weekend before Spring Break. I do not think many teachers refer to it that way now. It is sad when traditions fade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I instantly recognized this tree and this house. However, I always remember there were walnuts on the ground around this house. Was there also a walnut tree?

    ReplyDelete